perfectly emulate Windows Logo Key

How can be this controlled in that simulator? Can HIDmacros be used with this application?
darkeyez

perfectly emulate Windows Logo Key

Post by darkeyez » 05 Jun 2011, 00:36

I've been up and down with AutoHotKeys trying to do what HIDMacros does very simply: Map my Logitech Mediaboard Pro keyboard to use on my PC without affecting my laptop's keyboard nor my separate mouse. I can use the mouse buttons on the keyboard that I never need to use some of the missing functions, particularly in this case, the Windows Logo Key.

It was simple enough to have the program detect my keyboard (or "mouse" since it's using mouse functions) and put "#" in Send Keyboard Sequence to get the left-click key act as the Windows key. Unfortunately, it's behavior doesn't allow me to use in hotkey combinations like Win+D. It only serves to open the Start menu. I noticed my laptop's Windows key waits until I let go of the key to bring up the Start menu. While it's held down is when I can hit another key for a shortcut.

How can I get the left mouse button on my bluetooth keyboard to act EXACTLY as the Windows Key on my laptop? If it's not obvious by now, I'm completely new to all this and don't quite understand the scripting language enough to create my own. I appreciate any advice you can give.
Thanks!

darkeyez

Re: perfectly emulate Windows Logo Key

Post by darkeyez » 05 Jun 2011, 22:31

Well I came across a program called NirCMD. It's works pretty nicely with HIDMacros' "run application" feature. I enter the directory for nircmd and "sendkey lwin down" for the left mouse button down event, and then "sendkey lwin up" for the left mouse button up event. The Windows key works a little better in that it to waits for me to release it before opening the Start menu, during which I can use it as a modifier for hotkeys. When it's released, the Start menu pops up as it normally would.

So, here's the kicker: When I do use it for a hotkey, it gets stuck in the "down" command, so any keys I press after that act in conjunction with the Windows key being held down. I still can't get it to act exactly as it does on my laptop, though this is true progress. I can't use it to close the Start menu neither as it will just reopen it every time I use the button again.

NirCMD is awesome because I can at least get the keyboard's touch pad "wheel" to act as volume control, pretty sweet for a feature I would otherwise never use.

Still, would appreciate any advice on how to get the Win key to work perfectly!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 06 Jun 2011, 08:04

Possibility to have Win kay as modifier must be added into HIDmacros code, you can't do it currently.
I'll put this into next release.
Petr Medek
LUAmacros author

darkeyez

Post by darkeyez » 06 Jun 2011, 19:54

admin wrote:Possibility to have Win kay as modifier must be added into HIDmacros code, you can't do it currently.
I'll put this into next release.
cool! Thanks, I look forward to it.
I tried to write a script copied from AutoHotKeys to make it happen in HIDMacros but I'm no good with code and it seems the two programs use a slightly different language. AHK emulates the Win key perfectly but doesn't support multiple keyboards/mice the way HIDMacros does.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 07 Jun 2011, 13:48

I just had a look into the code and realized Win key as modifier is already supported :-).
Use # as modifier (as you would use e.g. + for shift).
So for example sequence '#e' opens explorer window.
Petr Medek
LUAmacros author

darkeyez

Post by darkeyez » 07 Jun 2011, 18:12

admin wrote:I just had a look into the code and realized Win key as modifier is already supported :-).
Use # as modifier (as you would use e.g. + for shift).
So for example sequence '#e' opens explorer window.
I don't understand. I was using # to remap the button to the Windows key. It just pops open the Start menu and doesn't allow for modifier nor does it close the start menu when you press it again like it would on my laptop. What am I doing wrong?

darkeyez

Post by darkeyez » 07 Jun 2011, 18:27

ohhh. I think I know what you mean but I wasn't looking to map modified or hot keys. I was trying to map the actual Windows Key. I'm trying to get it to act exactly as the Windows Key would on any other keyboard, like:

Win Key down: waits for you to press another key or let go
-if you Press another key: hotkey/shortcut function (ex. Win+D gives you desktop)
Win Key up: opens Start menu
Win Key down (again): waits
Win Key up (again): closes Start menu

Is that possible with this program?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 08 Jun 2011, 08:24

I see, now I understand.
This should not be a big deal but I have to add it into code.
Will let you know soon.
Petr Medek
LUAmacros author

darkeyez

Post by darkeyez » 08 Jun 2011, 17:05

cool! thanks, nice to have input into the development of a program.

Just out of curiosity, would I have been able to write a script to make it work? I don't know a single thing about scripting but just curious if that would've made things easier.

Thanks, again!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 09 Jun 2011, 07:34

Hmm, not sure what make "it" work means. I read your original post, you want to map mouse button as win key?
If you need just single press of Win key it can be done (when I add it into code). If you need to have exactly original behavior - meaning single click to open start menu and combinations (e.g. win+e for explorer) it won't work - you have to choose in macro definition whether you send single win key or win key as modifier (in combination with other key).
Petr Medek
LUAmacros author