External Key Pad Macro

Documentation. First post is always kind of manual page, being continuously updated by author. Following posts are discussion about the topic.
joferder

External Key Pad Macro

Post by joferder » 22 Jul 2020, 21:35

I have the job of entering hundreds of computers into a program for work. In the past I used HIDMacros to simplify this process but, for some reason, it now will type the key I press while it is doing what I set it to do. I then came to Lua, but I cannot figure out how to set anything up in this and the tutorials don't really clear anything up. Here is what I would like to do:

I have an external number pad that I would like to apply macros to specific keys. If I press the number "7" I would like the computer to hit TAB six times and then press enter. I would then scan a barcode and then press "8" and it would press TAB 3 more times, I would scan another barcode, and then press "9", which would be TAB twenty-seven times and then press enter.

Can anyone give some help on how to accomplish this? I assume once I figure out how to tell Lua that I only want it with the second keyboard and how to do the commands, I could change it to what I need it to do, I just don't know how to start.